Monday, September 21, 2009

Winefest Weekend - Friday's WineFest



One of my favorite weekends in Palisade is Winefest. It's a time when people from all over come to imbibe and enjoy. I always have a good time. In order to kick winefest off to a good start, we, mostly Kenny, put together a themed feast on Friday night. The theme was.......what else?! Malbec and Argentine cuisine.

Our guests were our fellow Palisade Vineland neighbors, Greg and Christy, mom Nancy, and our old neighbors from Nederland, Mark and Diane. Later in the evening Christy's son, Mark and his wife, Allie, joined in. To get things in the right mood, I went Malbec shopping. I LOVE Malbec shopping. I got a case, of course, there's 9 people. All Malbec under $25.

Here's the list: Catena Malbec 2006

Alamos Malbec 2007

Andeluna Malbec 2004 Reserva

Tierra Divina Malbec 2006

El Portillo Malbec 2007

Tilia Malbec 2008

Norton Malbec 2008

Marraso Malbec 2006

This is not the complete list, this is just what we drank that night. In order for people to have something to do....really, I printed out what some "experts" said about these wines. There were some common descriptive adjectives that I'd like to share with you here.

Complex aroma of plums and mature black fruits......mature black fruits?

Delicate, spicy notes

Dark purple color with violet highlights

Black cherry with a touch of chocolate and sweet spice.....do I smell BS?

Tannins as soft as velvet.........ooh la la

Hint of currant, fig and mocha flavors......what does a currant taste like exactly?

and my personal fav....

The mouthfeel is rich and lush, with concentrated black cherry and red currant fruit flavors layered with sweet spices, tobacco and a hint of leather

Leather?? Well, well. Ok big boy, leather it is.

I liked all these wines.....and didn't taste cow hide in any of them. But if I had to pick a favorite of the evening, from what I remember ,it is the El Portillo. Unpretentious and spicy. It's a nice flavor at a nice price...$14.99.

Oh no wait...it's the Marraso. It was full of berry, and I really could taste the spice. And it was so easy to drink, not any tastes that I had to grin and bear. It's price was a bit pricier, but the label's cooler, at $18.99.

I like both those wines. I'm torn. Well, I'll just have to drink those bottles again in a standoff.

Well, it looked like these people were having a good time. By the way, who are these people? Just joking. We had a great time and it was a great start for the wine drinking weekend of fun.

Remember imbibe and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment