Friday, September 25, 2009

Winefest Buy - Bookcliff Winery, Tempranillo



Right now I'm tasting the most expensive wine we bought at Winefest...that we liked (I have to put that caveat in there because there were more expensive, but not necessarily as tasty). It is the Bookcliff Vineyards 2008 Tempranillo.

Here's what the experts say about this grape:
Tempranillo is a primary red wine grape for much of Spain, especially wines from the Ribera del Duero and the Rioja Alta. It is also a key blending varietal in Port and known by the name of tinta roriz in Portugal's Douro Valley. It needs only a short growing season and this early ripening tendency is the source of the name tempranillo, which translates to "little early one".

The nose is of very ripe blackberries mingled with red and black stone fruit like plums and prunes. The dark purple wine fills the palate with a rich medley of intensely ripe fruit admixed with minerals, licorice and leather. The wine's concentration and structure dominates the midpalate. Firm yet round tannins underpin a long complex, fruity finish with hints of vanilla and chocolate. This is a big, elegant, graceful wine with great aging potential.
--
Yeah, what that guy said. I believe a Tempranillo should be a little sassy with a bit of alcohol in the aroma, and a slap of tannins at first drink. That's exactly what this wine does. The wine went for $25 and for a Tempranillo, I thought a bit high in price for this state. We're not well known as a wine producing state so you gotta keep that in mind. But searching the web, it looks like the pricing is all over the map. From $6.99 to $54.99. So I just don't know jack.


This wine is delectable. The aroma lends itself to plums and that hint of alcohol with a whiff of chocolate. (I'm not just making that up, I swear) On the palate you taste berries, spice and some tannins. My favorite part with regard to drinking this wine is the finish....It'smooth. I was going to say flabby at the end, but no....I'd say neat. Neat in a very good way.

This wine would be great with caesar salad with anchovies, pesto penne, seared pork tenderloins, or rack of lamb. A good strong cheese would be a marvelous compliment. And it is also easy enough on the palate to drink by itself.

I went to the Bookcliff Winery website to see what they mentioned about it, and it must be so new, that they haven't had a chance to update their website yet. I'm looking forward to seeing what they taste in their wine.

All I know is that I like it. I could drink it everyday although Kenny might not like the fact that I'm drinking $25 bottles of wine instead of $2.99 but you do what you gotta do.

Remember imbibe and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment