Wednesday, September 16, 2009

UPS Ground?



After weeks of research via the web, the local experts, the far away experts, and the local growers, K Squared Vineyards finally orders the grapes.

The company we ordered the grapes from had a weird name for a grape nursery. Inland Desert. They're out of Oregon. Oregon? Desert? So there is desert in Oregon on the east side, but do they have to be so literal? Well, everyone here said that was the place to get the stuff so it seemed alright.

I ordered the vines in November. What happens is the nursery plants those 1500 little vines just for us and then ships them whenever we want. We agreed the first week of May was a safe time to plant. They shipped right before then.

The time came and still no grapes. I called the nursery and they checked the computer, they're on their way. I inquired as to how they were shipped. I would think FedEx Overnight. These are vunerable little plants, for god's sake, they need all the gentle care they can muster, right?

Well, apparently I was wrong. They shipped them ground UPS. It took them 7 days to travel from Oregon to Colorado. 7 days! This Inland Desert nursery must know it's stuff. Funny, they didn't even ask me how I'd like them shipped. I would of paid more to get them here sooner for sure.

Finally, the day came when UPS delivered the vines. A brown guy comes up and starts to unload boxes. One box....two box.......no more boxes? Nope. 1500 vines in 2 boxes? You gotta be kidding me.

Quickly, almost desparately I rip open the boxes to see what horrible condition the vines are in. I'm shocked, they look fine. Fine for first year vines packed in like sardines. They're packed in plastic, no water. The vines look like sticks with roots. I can't tell if they're alive or dead. I'll assume they're alive.

Now I have another problem.....planting is not for another week. What the hell do I do with these besides keep them stuffed in this box. Thus, stage left enters Art, our ageless neighbor. He has two bins that are perfect. In my non-agro past, I would say those are great steel bins to put in lots of ice and cold beer. In my agro-present, these are perfect for putting some water in and getting those little guys some air.

Well, apparently the vines made it and I called the nursery to inquire about the amount of boxes, or lack there of, for 1500 vines. I said,"I can't believe that all those vines came in two boxes." The lady responds, "Yeah, I know, we tried to put all of them in one box, but we couldn't get the last 200 in so we split the lot." Huh?

Remember Imbibe and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment