Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Whites











Whites! I love white wine, but I tend to drink more reds. It's probably because in the magazine, Wine Spectator, they only mention red wines providing the healthy benefits. And of course, the only reason I drink wine is for my health. :) The poor white wines just don't get a fair shake.

So let's talk about whites in the general sense for now. Whites are normally light. You can easily drink it without food. And white wine is SO refreshing on a summer day. You can even put a couple of ice cubes in the glass without a wine snob turning up their nose. Well, maybe not, but who cares.

If you are a new wine drinker, you cannot go wrong with a Riesling. It tends to have a range from super sweet to barely sweet. That sweet flavor doesn't mean the wine cannot be complex, it's just that our new-wine-drinker taste buds tend to like sweet wines more than non-sweet wines. A Riesling is perfect with Asian food, and appetizers like artichoke dip and spring rolls.

A great grape that Kenny and I always like to start our night with is Sauvignon Blanc. The wine is rarely harsh. Most times the wine has a fruity, sometimes lemony, flavor. It can sometimes give you a little tangy kick at the end. Sav Blanc is perfect with salads, breads and crackers, and even chicken soup. The same can be said of Pinot Grigio and Fume blanc.

There's a wine called Viognier (vee-en-yay) that grows exceptionaly well in our Grand Valley area. Before moving to Palisade I never heard of it, and it was my loss....until now. The grape has powerful flower and fruit aromas. Viognier is intended to be consumed young. Viogniers more than three years old tend to lose many of the floral aromas that make this wine unique. The color and the aroma of the wine suggest a sweet wine but Viognier wines are predominantly dry. When I worked at Grand River winery, I would pour a taste for customers with this to say....I suggest you save enough for three sips. The first sip you'll taste a sweet wine, the second taste you'll taste a fruity but dryish flavor, and the third taste will provide you with a dry, smooth fruity flavor that will last the rest of the bottle. Truly a unique wine. This wine is great with fish, vegetables, and can hold its own with pork, depending on how it's cook.

Then of course, there is the Chardonnay. The wine can give you a wider range of flavors. My favorite Chardonnay is one that has a bit of a smoke taste but not too much, with a hint of peach, ending with a buttery finish. It is the only wine that is fermented in barrels for a period of time. I believe that fermenting is what brings forth the complexity in this white. I have a friend that is a Chardonnay fanatic. It's the only wine he'll drink. Bruce says the flavors are one of the reasons for his preference, but more importantly it's the great memories the wine bring to the forefront while drinking it. He associates the glass of Chardonnay with good times and the good life.

On that note, I think I'll pop open a bottle of Chardonnay right now.

Remember imbibe and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. You didn't discuss the Zinfandel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know and I really like Zins...but they're not white.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I showed my wine ignorance then. What are they considered?

    ReplyDelete