Friday, August 28, 2009

The River and Wine









This weekend I'm going with good friends, Jan and Fred, to the River. River with a capital "R" because it's a religious routine for those two with good reason. On Friday afternoon, they strip themselves of their weekday work-laden corporate suits and don the beach clothes, but more importantly, the beach attitude. If someone was to ask me what we do there specifically, I'd respond, "Nothing."

And nothing it is, a whole bunch of nothings, but they're all trivial somethings of some sort. But one thing they're not is painting the kitchen ceiling, or mowing the grass, or cleaning the fridge. And that's why I'm really going to enjoy myself this weekend.

Of course, no weekend is complete without some beach-complimentary bottles of wine on hand. I'm bringing two bottles of white with us for the weekend, plus a good amount of beer. Both of the wines are white grape varietals. No self-respecting wine drinker would bring a heavy red to the beach, a rose maybe, but no way a Primitivo or a Cab Sav. So white it is.

My choice of purchase was very scientific. The first one I selected by price. I passed by the bottle in the Shop-n-Save, and exclaimed, "What? That price can't be right!" and put it in the cart. The second bottle I chose because I like the label. I don't know about you, but I choose a bottle by its label all the time. My method is...I normally have a grape in mind, like this weekend I knew I wanted a white, something that won't wither agianst the heat or weigh me down. Maybe a Pinot Grigio or a Fume Blanc, or it could be a light Chardonnay. And that's what I got.

The first one is a blend of Pinot Grigio and Torrontes by Lost Vineyards of Argentina, no year. Hmmm. That's kinda concerning but even if it's swill, who cares? Mix it with lots of ice cubes and you're set. When you purchase a bottle of wine for $3.59, yep....you heard me, you give it a lot of leeway.

But the price is not extremely concerning to me because when Kenny and I were "working", touring the Malbec vineyards of Mendoza, Argentina at the beginning of this year, we feasted on some great wines. And even the best wines were under $20. Most other things were comparable prices to the States, but the wines were not. So I'm going to check out this white. Here's what their website has to say about it:

"blah, blah, blah, blah.........slightly more fruity and aromatic than traditional Pinot Grigio, the addition of the highly prized Torrontes grape creates the perfect blend. This wine is everything but boring!" (https://www.lostvineyards.com/argentina/pinot.htm)

And this bottle of wine won a gold medal in the 2008 Hilton Head Area Hospitality Association Winefest.

Well, ok then! And on the internet they're selling the wine for $2.99 a bottle. Shoot! I paid 60 cents too much. Darn it! Like I said, anybody can make a good $50 bottle of wine but it takes a real master to make a $2.99 bottle of wine that you want to drink. So we'll see how it goes. The website didn't say not boring in a good way. :)

Then there's the 2005 South African Storyteller Chardonnay. I couldn't find a thing on the winery, so maybe there's no "winery" per se, but since I bought it because of the label, I will pass on the story on the label that caught my attention and solidified my purchase... "Chapter IV (looks more official) "The Sea Serpent" There once existed an imposing rock wall barrier, which had kept The Young Man of the Sea from his village bride. To claim her, the Young Man of the Sea brought with him a glittering green sea serpent. Swimming headfirst into the imposing rock, the sea serpent created a gaping hole though which the Young Man rode his ocean wave through and swooped up his bride. Upon the wave retreating....." What?! What?! Wave retreating what? The rest of the story is finished on the back of the bottle. That's why I bought this bottle. On a quality of the wine note.....

This wine did win a silver medal at the 2007 Los Angeles International Wine and Spirit event. On the bottle it says, "A provocative mix of apricot, rich melon and honeyed peach flavors, with good minerality enhancing the fruit." That last part really is a good thing. The wine was cheap at only $9.49.

Well I think this is going to be a good weekend. I'll let you know.

And always remember, Imbibe and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment