Monday, August 31, 2009

Cheap wine











I'm back from another relaxing weekend at the river off of Missouri. We did a whole lot of nothing and boy, was that fun. I joke that "What happens on the River stays on the River", but truth be told, I really just can't remember anything that happened on the River. It wasn't like I was a blubbering puddle of alcohol, it's just to say nothing really of note happened. And that is good.

Another good thing that happened was drinking that $3.59 bottle of wine. I brought a bottle of Argentinian wine, wanting to check it out. Definitely not expecting much. I was very surprised. This bottle of 30% Pinot Grigio/70% Torrentes from Lost Vineyard of Argentina is a winner. Light and fruity with a hint of kiwi (I'm serious this time, I really DID taste kiwi). The first taste on your tongue was a hint of sweet, then it moved on to kiwi, and then it finished with a lemony fade. All for under the price of a McDonald's Value Meal. A real test of a cheap wine is that killer, cheap wine hangover headache. No headache. Wow! And you can order it off of the internet for $2.99 a bottle. I'm in.

I also brought that bottle of 2005 South African Chardonnay from Storyteller winery. It was drinkable, but not very noteworthy. One of the things I did note was the initial taste of diesel. That was a little strange for that grape. It was tangy but not much else. It didn't overload you with tanginess so that was okay, but it didn't give you anything more to speak about. It is probably because of its age. A Chardonnay is normally best drunk within two years of its life. This one needed to go on to the retirement home.


Taking chances on cheap wine, I love the game!


Remember Imbibe and Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment