Monday, August 17, 2009

Traffic Jam










K Squared Vineyard is out in an area called the Vinelands, appropriately named, and our road is a little rough to say the least. It's a gravel road with potholes and constant puddles. The constant puddles, regardless rain or shine, are from the continuous overflowing of an irrigation pipe that needs to be replaced because it's too small and falling apart. But no government agency will take care of it, so no sane property owner is gonna replace it because it costs an arm and a leg.


Our road is not owned by us, even though we are the only people who live on it. Two years ago we had a horrible time with huge ass potholes and lots of dust and I wanted someone to come out and fix this road. Well, after some crazy digging around in the muckity muck of government agencies, I found someone who had an answer. I called the County and the guy I was talking to initially said, "The people that live on that road own the road." So I said with a smug voice, "So you mean I own the road and if I want to close it or charge people money to go through I can?" He quickly retracted his initial statement and said he'd get back to me. After a couple of days, I called him back and he said, "Well, you don't own it, the County owns it but it's not maintained." I'm thinking, "What the f#*$?" How can that be? I still don't get it to this day. But I bet if I tried to close it I'd find it all out.


So Kenny and I do whatever the hell we want with this road, which to tell you the truth is not too radical or crazy. We scrape it. We plow it down. We spread road base like stuff on it.

Because the road's unmaintained, I decided to put up speed limit signs that say, "Speed Limit 15 mph". Yes, we can do that, isn't that a hoot?

Except for a couple of farm boys with a lead foot, we have mostly ATVs and tractors coming through our road. You know you don't get much traffic when Elsie, our dog, has worn a spot in the middle of the road from laying there so much. By the sound of the ATV and how fast they're going (sound wise), we can figure out who's coming from a good distance off. From the sound of the tractors, we can tell if it's full of peaches and pickers or empty going back to pick more in the fields. You can always tell it's the neighbors' kids on the ATVs because they always sound like they're in a race. Going to the convenience store or to their friend's house across the street.


I can tell the sound of the UPS vs. FedEx guys, and sometimes the post office will deliver to the house if it's too big to put in the mailbox. I know their sound too. I always find myself looking out the window if it's someone going a little too slow for their own good.


Oh my gosh, I've become the little old nosey lady poking my head out the window!!
Well, I guess that's what happens when the biggest traffic jam we ever see is Art and John crossing paths on their ATVs.


It's nice having the quiet. And the noticeable sounds of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment