Sunday, October 3, 2010

Okay I got it.....for now



Once again I was clueless as to what to do for the next step in the game of wine making. The Ye Olde Winemaker said wait three weeks, then rack again. Well, okay but why? Your tired, just give it a rest or what?


Then came the ah-ha moment. It came when I was watching the small carboy's vapor lock dribble sterilized water into the grape juice. I saw that dribble leak into the red juice with panic.....again. That water may kill the yeast in the juice. It will kill the yeast.

And then I took a good look. Wait a minute. The yeast is already done. How do I know? The vapor lock top on the top of the container wasn't floating. And on the other two they were. That means that all the CO2 that the yeast was producing is gone.

Thus, those little yeasties are no longer of this world. Okay, okay I get it. When the vapor lock top is flat on the plug then the yeast is done doing its thing. Yeah!

Time to celebrate with a nice Valpolicella 2007 by Zenato. I'm a big Valpolicella fan anyway and this is a big wine. The blend of smoothness of berries and chocolate with a hint of tannins is a perfect wine with the raviolis I'm having tonight.

Remember imbibe and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment