Friday, July 16, 2010

Spicy Watering

Nothing like the sun in the middle of July to fry everything under the sun. In Colorado, the humidity is low so the nights are cool, but 110 in the sun during the middle of the day is still hot and way unpleasant. But it’s a dry heat. Thus, you’re being baked in a pizza oven as opposed to be braised in the pressure-cooker humidity of the Midwest. Neither feels good. Ergo…..

Ahh……cool, crisp water. It’s time to water the vineyard again. Time to provide the vines a needed reprieve from the elements.

The cool water from the grand Colorado River diverts into our 6 inch pipe and flows through the dozens of 3” holes down the furrowed creases positioned about a foot away from each vine. As the water oozes from the furrow into the light brown, sandy, clay dirt, the soil’s color transforms from harsh, desert tan to a rich milk chocolate brown. The saturated dirt feels cooler…literally. When it’s completely soaked into the top soil and reaches the vines, I can physically see the vines get happy.

I imagine the satiated vines must feel the same way I did when I made the 9-mile hike down into the Grand Canyon in July a couple of years ago. I started at the top of the south side of the canyon and it was hot (low 90s), and by the time I reached the bottom of the canyon, it was super hot, oven hot, oh my god hot. Way over 110. Luckily, there’s water and lots of it, the Colorado River, flowing through the bottom of the canyon. Exhausted, dehydrated, and overheated, I took off my hiking boots and lowered my bare feet into the river.


The initial feeling of my hot, sweaty skin surrounded by the immersion of my feet into the cool, caressing water was orgasmic. The coolness immediately sent chills up my spine. My feet felt pain, then a tingly, prickly sensation. Followed by goose bumps all over my body. Expressed by an uncontrollable “Aahhhhh” spilling out of my mouth while my head tipped back and my eyes closed uncontrollably. Finalized with an endless smile. (You know what I’m talking about.) I happily fell back against the rock and contently stared up at the desert blue sky.

Well, shoot no wonder those vines are happy.

Remember imbibe and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment